Monday, May 3, 2010

SB10- London Visitors, Rome & Venice

So I know it seems like I haven't been keeping track of this semester. I have. Right now, I am sitting on only 12 days left in London and as far as I'm concerned on that 12th day, I die. My plan is to live it up... before, you know.... going back to that other world across the pond.

Just kidding, I miss everyone back home, but it might make it easier if you all just came over here instead of me going back there? yeah? ok, let me know how it goes!

I love you all.
LC

March 26:
Tracey arrived this evening and we picked her up by the Baskin Robbins on Baker St. I wanted to run in her arms, but my pants were falling down so I couldn’t and, of course, this was a relevant detail…. We partied it up at Westminster College with Beth (arriving from Denmark), Emily, and the wolf pack… and other Westminster kids who I met that night cuz wow this group just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Then Trace face and I, after a fun filled night of flip cup with Strongbow cider, went home so we could wake up bright and early for a day of site seeing and touring!


March 27:
Today Tracey and I went all over London. We woke up pretty early (considering what we had been up to the night before) and went to go see the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace. It was cool, just totally not what I was expecting. They really didn’t do all that much and it started raining a bit (typical London, eh?) but I made the most out of it and put on a happy face. I actually had a really fun time, although it was mostly just a bunch of standing around. Next, we walked through Trafalgar Square and briefly through the National Portrait Gallery so I could show Tracey the Monet & Manet collection. You know, Impressionism and all that, it’s pretty neat. After that we walked to and through Westminster, The Houses of Parliament, The Clock Tower & Big Ben, we saw The London Eye, we walked across the Thames and we got on a bus back to Oxford Circus to go meet Emily and Beth for a late lunch. We sat in those seats on the bus at the top, in the front! It was as if I we were just going on a drive through London. It was really fun and I loved catching up with her and hearing about Barcelona and all that. Plus, we got to really thinking about how amazing senior year will be and just how great it’s gonna be to live together next year (oh yeah) in our amazing 6 person duplex back at DePauw. It was absolutely brilliant having a piece of home with me in London, especially since my family was unable to come visit over my break.
Anyway, we met up with Beth and Emily for some fish and chips then we walked on over to Tower Bridge and Tower of London. We took pics (lots of pics) then headed over to St. Paul’s, Millennium Bridge, The Tate Modern, and Shakespeare’s Globe. It was easy getting over there, tubing it and not really needing to take too many glances at a map anymore. That was an amazing feeling.


March 28:
Today, we went and had a good old fashioned English breakfast in Piccadilly and coffee. After that, I came back home to get ready for my trip to Italy and finish up another Shakespeare paper due after break (boo) while they fooled around in Piccadilly and Oxford Circus. No big deal, but it did suck actually having to work, like really work, and then leave my buds. I got a lot done and I’m now really pumped for Italy. I cannot wait to get going.
That evening we went to a Mexican restaurant in Leicester Square which was AMAZING. I got a simple burrito and we split margaritas and pina coladas… and bud light limes. It was an interesting evening, no doubt. I want life to be always this happy, easy, and wonderful.


March 29:
Okay, so I realize I’ve already seen Les Mis, but I just can’t stop thinking about it and after hearing that Beth was dying to see it, I resorted to paying to see it again. It was THAT good and the cast was unbelievable. I laughed, I cried, I was angry, I was hopeful, this musical quite simply gave me everything, and I needed to see it again. We woke up this morning and bought some tickets, then after that glorious moment… we headed to Abbey Road.
Emily actually met us up here and when she got here, we realized we could actually take a pic with us 4 AXO’s and that is exactly what we did. The final pics that came about are probably my favorite pics from London and it pretty much encapsulates everything wonderful about this country, in terms of my being a tourist.

After that crazy time (seriously, we were there for like 2 hours just reading the messages on the wall, taking pics and creepin on the cute lil houses) we got some dinner and got ready for Les Miserables at the Queen’s Theatre and such a wonderful theatre it is! The 2nd production was just as amazing as the first. I was happy because not only did I completely get my money’s worth (excellent seats in the royal circle) BUT I basically saw an entirely different cast. There were so many understudies out tonight, but it didn’t matter because they were amazing! I love seeing young talent on the stage, it’s refreshing and it gives me hope that that might be me soon enough. Everyone was so talented, too, and I was just as moved at this performance as I was the first time I saw it.
After the show, I got a chance to meet some of the actors and actresses. I got pics with them, but they were on Beth’s camera, so hopefully she’ll put them on facebook or something so I can steal them 
I had a great night and now it is time to leave for Roma!


March 30-April 7- Rome & Venice--- wonderful weather, friends, vaca, food and drinks! see my pics. To write about this one will take many many many pages, indeed. Probably won’t be ready till Christmas. Haha.


No comments:

Post a Comment